Most injuries that occur at home can be avoided especially those that happen to children and elderly adults. Here are tips to help prevent falls around your home:
- Using night lights: Installing night lights in bedrooms, hallways and stairways can make it safer for people when using these places.
- Get rid of the throw rugs: In a house with children and elderly people throw rugs can be a tripping hazard for them. It is best to get rid of them or at least tack or tape them to the floor.
- Ensure the bathroom is a no-slip zone: This can be achieved by cleaning the bathroom frequently. Also, one can install grab bars and appliques in the shower.
- Safety-proofing the house: One can ensure their house is safe by removing clutter from the walkways and stairs. Safety gates can also be installed at the top and bottom of the stairways in the house.
- Installing window guards: During their discovery stage, children learn to move around the house and climb on things. As their guardians and parents we should take all necessary precautions to ensure they do not get injured. Having window guards can ensure they do not fall as they peep through the windows or as they try to open them.
Join us on Facebook and Twitter for a lengthy conversation on this.