Fires and burns are also common injuries at home and most of these injuries occur as a result of cooking.
Here are a few tips to prevent such injuries:
- Installing smoke detectors: For some of us, this does not seem like a priority in our homes but it is an important action. Once these are installed it is also important to go an extra step to ensure the batteries are not disconnected or missing.
- Be careful as you cook: Remain aware of other people in the room with you especially if there are children in the house. You can be stricter and ensure kids do not play near the stove or help you cook until they are old enough to understand the dangers of fire.
- Do not neglect calling the maintenance guy: If you notice any wiring issues in your house, get these issues fixed. Do not try fixing electrical issues yourself if you are not a professional, let the professionals handle it.
- Storage of dangerous items: Store lighters and matches in a locked place and out of reach of children. It is also important to cover sockets to prevent the children from playing with or around them.
- Be a careful smoker: Smoking has its health risks but can also be the start of fires at home. Keep your family and property safe through simple measures like smoking outside or dousing cigarette butts in water before throwing them in the trash.
- Stay prepared: None of us would want our house to catch fire but staying prepared is important. Get fire extinguishers and place them strategically around the house. Most importantly, teach people in your house how to use them in case of a fire.
What other measures have you taken to prevent fire injuries in your home?